Re: MGA, where do I strip.

To: RCR293@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA, where do I strip.
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 08:41:11 -0700
At 07:53 PM 9/19/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Rob, I'd be very careful before using aircraft stripper on the body of
>my MGA.  I've had excellent results removing the paint from my MGA via
>a   professional chemical stripper (Metastrip in Mt Juliet, Tenn,
>outside Nashville).  They use a harmless caustic soda solution which not
>only gets into every nook, cranny, seam and joint but more importantly
>gets out of every nook cranny, seam and joint before the paint goes on.
>I've had no paint adhesion, cracking, bubbling or leeching problems at
>all.  Several people I know have experienced the above problems with
>aircraft stripper.  Save the aircraft stripper for the engine block,
>suspension parts or other less noticable areas just to be safe.
>Just my humble opinion
>
>Stan Fischer        58,59, 62 MGAs

Rob et al,

Stan's point is well taken.  When I stipped the TC's bonnet it was
disassembled and lying on the shop floor.  After stripping it was washed and
flushed with copious amounts of water.  I negelected to ask if you planned
to remove the fenders from the car, I just assumed they were off.  If not I
apologize and recommend you follow Stans advice.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)         Surrey, BC  CANADA
 1947 MG-TC 3528           1966 MGB-GT