Re: Running on?

To: pujalte@stic.net
Subject: Re: Running on?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:42:33 +0000
> Scott,
>   Timing, too-high an idle speed, a portion of the head gasket protruding
> into the combustion chamber (unlikely) can all contribute to the
> "dieseling" that you are experiencing.
>  You might try lowering the idle speed first; it's the easiest.
>
> My 0.02,
> -Vince
> San Antonio

Vince,
        Thanks for the tip.  I lowered the idle speed to about 1000 rpm,
which is the lowest it will idle smoothly.  I think I need to get the
old SUs rebuilt and back on the car.  I don't think the 32/36 is
acting right.  With a completely fresh engine, I expected a smoother
idle, even with the Piper 270 cam.  Ever since I bought the car, it
"shudders" at idle.  It's not a constant shake, which I could
attribute to the cam, it's more of a "hunting" sound, with the
occasional shudder.
        I'm not too worried about a protuding head gasket either, since I'm
only at a .030 overbore, but could a leaking head gasket cause it?  I
need to re-torque the head from the rebuild tomorrow, and I've
noticed small bubbles coming out from the head gasket, but no leakage
to speak of.  The timing is the only thing I haven't checked since
the rebuild, but that will be getting done with everything else
tomorrow morning.
 Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com