RE: Stripped Alloy Bolt Hole

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Stripped Alloy Bolt Hole
From: ejrussell@sprynet.com
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:29:53 -0800
>...[snip]...
> just tightening up one of the last bolts holding on the oil pan, when the
> grim realisation struck his numbed brain that the bolt hole was stripped.
>...[snip]...
> Can you save this wretched, clueless individual from blowing up one of
> Her Majesty's vehicles?  Do you know where he may purchase a tube
> of  "Instant Bolt Hole" ?  Or what?

>Go to ... http://www.permatex.com/mrktchnls/auto_main/  ... select
>'Under Hood' from the menu ... then scroll to the bottom of the page
>and select 'Loctite Form-A-Thread Stripped Thread Repair' ... bingo!

>I'm not sure that this will do the trick, but its the best idea that I can
>come up with short of pulling the engine.

I can testify that this stuff WILL work. Follow directions carefully,
especially
about cleaning the inside of the stripped hole. My experience was with a
stripped manifold-to-cyl head bolt on a Chevy six cyl in an old pick-up truck.
After cleaning the stripped hole with brake cleaner, I used the 'Form-A-Tread'
per directions. After hardening overnight, I was able to apply the same torque
as the other, un-stripped bolts. I was even able to remove and replace the bolt
years later. Sold the truck and never did remove the head for a proper repair...

Eric <ejrussell@sprynet.com>
"My job gets in the way of the work I have to do..."