Re: Stripped Alloy Bolt Hole

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Stripped Alloy Bolt Hole
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:21:31 -0500
Hi All,

Thanks to all who responded.  I decided to leave the "heel cawl" (great
story A.B.) as a last resort and went and got some of the Loctite "Stripp=
ed
Thread Repair". =

It said maximum strength is after 2 hours so I'll wait 'til tomorrow
morning before bolting up the oil pan.

The outside of the package says" Allows up to 128 ft.lb torque"  However,=

when you get home and rip open the package, this 128 ft.lb applies to a 1=
"
bolt size.  The oil pan bolts are about 5/16" diameter (they take a 1/2"
socket) and the max torque using this Loctite stuff is a measly 3.8 (ie,
less than 4)  ft.lb.
The manual calls for 20 ft.lb.

There's enough stuff left for a couple of tries, so I'll just tighten it
down to 20 and see if it'll hold.  Oh, that reminds me - the pan had to
come off for this thread repair but fortunately I had only used red
silicone to attach the gasket to the pan.  Should I now apply the red
silicone to the uppermost side of the gasket, or do you think the gasket
will still hold.  It came away very cleanly but it had been torqued down.=
 =

(The bolt for the stripped hole was one of the last that I was tightening=
) =

It's not that I'm a tight wad but it'll take another week for Moss to shi=
me another gasket.  I'm real anxious to see if the engine now holds bette=
oil pressure after replacing the con rod bearings.

Thanks again, guys!!        Adrian