Re: Stripped Alloy Bolt Hole

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Stripped Alloy Bolt Hole
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:05:59 EST
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:18:57 -0800 Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
writes:
>Adrian Jones wrote:
>> Can you save this wretched, clueless individual from blowing up one
>of Her
>> Majesty's vehicles?  Do you know where he may purchase a tube of
>"Instant
>> Bolt Hole" ?  Or what?
>
>Has anyone suggested the product called heli-coil or something like
>that?  I think
>it's some stupid-looking little spring thingy that is installed into
>your stripped
>hole by using a special tool, effectively rethreading your hole.
>Think they come in
>a pack of about 20.  I know they have just about every size, so
>finding the right one
>wouldn't be a problem.  Try looking through your hardware store in the
>taps/dies
>section.
>
>--
>Michael S. Lishego
>St. Andrews Presbyterian College
>Elementary Education Major,
>English Minor, Class of 1999
>R.A. of Winston-Salem Hall

My $.02 worth.
  the little buggers are worth every cent you pay for them!!!!! I've even
used them to repair a stripped head bolt hole on aluminum blocks.
  The only problem you'll have is you'll still have to get a drill to the
botched hole to drill it with the special bit (usually included in the
kit). other than that, it's a straight forward job.
  1 Drill out old hole with included bit.
  2. tap new hole with special tap (included)
  3. place Heli-coil on installation tool
  4.screw into newly tapped hole til the drive tang breaks off
  5. remove tool and re-install orginal bolt.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget