RE: aftermarket air-cleaner assemblies

To: gaither@ix.netcom.com
Subject: RE: aftermarket air-cleaner assemblies
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 05:11:32 +0000
> Lawrie,
>
> This goes against everything I've every read about improving the air flow
> in our MGB's.  Did you test the originals with the original paper filter or
> did you try them with the K&N elements?  Just how do you test the
> efficiency of an air cleaner?  This could mean very good news to me as I
> still have the original cans that I was going to replace.  Now it sounds as
> though I should reconsider.
>
> Doug

Doug,
        I don't know how the filters are actually tested, either, but I
would suspect that one could feed air through the filter at a fixed
pressure and measure total cubic feet per minute flow.  You could
probably even do thi in a home shop if you can isolate the inlet side
of the filter from the outlet side.  Use a low-pressure air
compressor on the inlet, and an empty garbage bag on the outlet.  The
trick would be to keep the back-pressure on the inlet constant.
Scott