Re: Crappy car manuals

To: Wildbil923@aol.com (Wildbil923)
Subject: Re: Crappy car manuals
From: Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 98 13:14:15 EST

> Pat:
>
> I agree.  Most manuals are of very limited value, telling you the obvious and
> leaving out the valuable.  The best manual I've ever used in is John Muir's
> (God rest his soul) How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, A Manual of Step-By-
> Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot".  This one tells all.  I believe later
> versions include the Rabbit.

Beware!  Muir is fine if you're a novice, but Muir is also an idiot
himself about a lot of things and there is a lot of misinformation in
his book.

If you're a serious shadetree mechanic, spend the bucks and get a Haynes
and a Bentley to complement the Muir.  You will be enlightened.  I've
found that if you have all three of the manuals, you can put them
together to get a good set of instructions for your procedure.  However,
now that I know what I'm doing with my VWs, I don't use Muir anymore,
just Haynes and Bentley.

There is supposedly a separate manual for Rabbits.  The original Muir
manual covers only the air-cooled VWs.

--
Sean Bartnik
Fredericksburg, Virginia