Re: Beefing up

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Beefing up
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:11:38 -0800
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> Then, Pete, your assignment for today is to explain to the group how you
> connected your carburetor/s to the end of that very long "intake" tract
> that runs from the three ports you mentioned to the back of the
> car......:-)

Youse guys will get me busted if my boss figures out why I am laughing
my head off when I am supposed to be working.

Larry gave an excellent description of the "split Weber" set up.  The
Weber accelerator pump jets also squirt straight down the "two" intake
ports instead of hitting the walls of the curving manifold.  One of the
big problems with DCOE on a siamese port engine is getting the pump
squirt to the valves.  Typically you have to run really big jets to get
over the bog factor.  One reason why fuel mileage tends to be poor.  The
other area I was working with is flow velocity.  I have achieved good
drivability with a DCOE by using small 33mm chokes at the expense of top
end power.  The small chokes keep intake speed high and give good
dispersion to all four cylinders.  I hoped that the straight intake
tracts would allow larger chokes while still keeping even cylinder fill.
 Now I am setting up a crossflow head with the twin Webers which solves
all the siamese port problems.

        For non-weber folk, this is why your SU carbs work so well.
Only people like myself with insecure childhoods should play with
Webers.  My daily driver is getting a brand new pair of SU HS4 s

        Larry:  The manifold is an unused Special Tuning product and is
yours for $75.00 frt p/p

Kelvin.