Re: dashpot oil

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: dashpot oil
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 18:32:37 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 4 Apr 1998 miker15@juno.com wrote:

> When i bought my 72 to restore it 3 years ago the PO (wont say "D" since
> he brought me back to the fold!!) gave me two bottles of dashpot oil
> which have lasted me until today when the last few drips went into the
> GT.
> Now i know its ok to use engine oil (and i have on occasion) but i like
> to use the proper stuff if possible - does anyone know of a proprietary
> brand that i might be able to pick up locally? - stops at three parts
> stores today drew blank stares  - but im resistant to the Moss price for
> the stuff!!

What's your definition of "the proper stuff"?  I don't know about the MGB
owner's manual, but every other BritCar manual I've seen specifies engine
oil (although the viscosity differs from one make to another). You don't
need special "dashpot oil".

Start out with whatever viscosity your MGB manual recommends. Keep in mind
that the dashpot dampers serve the same purpose as the acceleration pump
on a "normal" carburetor - to richen the mixture when you stomp on the
accelerator pedal.  Experiment.  If you feel you need a richer mixture on
acceleration, switch to a higher-viscosity oil in the dashpots.  If you
feel you need a leaner mixture, use a lower-viscosity oil.

For what it's worth, I usually use what ever I'm currently using in the
engine.  Normally that's SAE 20W-50 during the Summer and SAE 10W-40
during the Winter.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net