Re: oil pressure question

To: stecz@pswtech.com
Subject: Re: oil pressure question
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 16:49:06 EDT
Hi John,
  Do you have a lot of miles on that engine?  My 75 got driven a lot on
the highway in Florida, and its pressure stayed right up there at highway
speeds. It would be lower at idle for the first few minutes after coming
off the highway, but would then return to normal idle pressure as the oil
cooled.  At that time I was using 10-30 also.
  If you have high mileage, you might consider John Twist's suggestion
that you change the connecting rod bearings every 80,000 miles.  We
recently did that on a club member's 76, a car that had a real DPO who
flogged it.  The pressure went from 10 psi at hot idle to about 35, and
to about 70 on the road. That's still not right, of course, but it will
keep the lassie from exploding the engine while she saves her pennies to
afford a proper rebuild.
Bob