Re: Eectrical Woes - Help!

To: RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu
Subject: Re: Eectrical Woes - Help!
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:17:50 EDT
On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:33:34 -0400 (EDT) RAY WYGONIK
<RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu> writes:

>Although, shouldn't the fuel pump stop after it fills the carbs?  It
>slows down
>but does not stop.  Absolutly no sound from the solenoid or starter.
>No turnn
>signals or heater motor.  I forgot to check the wipers.
>
>When I turn the key on the tach pegs itself. Is this related to the
>rest of the
>problems or something else? The car did come with another tach, and I
>am not
>sure which was actually in the car when I tore it down.
>
>I thought it best last night to walk away and come back fresh.  I
>probably
>won't get back to it until Saturday.
>
>Any advice out there on a good starting place?  My ignition switch
>does not
>seem to have any definite detents. Once you turn it on it moves back
>and forth
>the whole range with little or no resistance.
>
>Please list - don't fail me now.  My youngest son wants to drive the
>MG to his
>prom on May 22 and we need a week or two to get the car insected and
>teach him
>to drive a stick.
>
>Thanks in advance.

DONT PANIC!!....hehe-  off the top of my head it sounds like either the
starter motor or the solenoid or the electrics between them - im no lucas
maven but the clue has to be in the fact that the heater and turn signals
are off line as well - im sure one of the
electrically proficient will know the area to look at - i read Paul Kiles
article in British Car last night - he's your man!!
in the past when starters have done tthis sort of thing to me i have
taken the  old fashioned approach first and whacked the starter with a
BFH in case its stuck -
id say that has cured it 60% of the time and invariably led to new
armature and brushes...worth a try
May 22.....and learn to drive a stick..... youre a brave man Ray!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster