Re: A/C certification...

To: "Art Pfenninger" <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: A/C certification...
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:04:53 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>

> It's my understanding that  R134a can be put into an R12 system
>without modification. Someone told me this but I didn't believe them. I
>then saw a kit in JC Whitney to do it.
>...Art

Results will be marginal to dismal depending upon knowing what you're doing
and your expectations.

The boiling point and pressure curves for R134a and R12 are slightly
different with the efficiency edge going to R12. Thus your condenser is
somewhat undersized when moving to R134a. Also, the oil in the compressor
should be different for this new coolant and you need to know how to change
it. As the oil becomes suspended in the coolant, the desiccant bag in the
receiver/dryer or accumulator becomes contaminated and that component should
be replaced. The coolant is somewhat incompatible with some seals and it is
often necessary to swap out the compressor seal, too. Finally, the coolant
has been known to be incompatible with the hose connectors on some existing
cars so those hose connectors may need to be replaced to be up to this new
standard.

Other than those odds and ends, yes, just dump the R12 and pour in some
R134a. I'm sure the J.C.Whitney kit has those things covered.

A couple of side notes:

1) A functional air-conditioner does not endanger the ozone layer several
miles above the earth regardless if the coolant is R12, R134a, or Ammonia.

2) There is no evidence that leaking auto air-conditioners have contributed
to the high-altitude ozone depletion "problem."

3) Although not produced (much) anymore, R12 is not going away. The new
equipment for A/C maintenance must collect the old R12. It is then cleaned
and recycled into the next car being serviced. It's a gold mine: Service
garages get a lot of the old R12 for free and then charge you big money to
put it back in because it is 'scarce.'

4) Until the ozone scare, the auto air-conditioning industry was pretty
stagnant in service, materials, and tool sales. It is a growth industry
again.

5) A very effective way to "get rid" of the R12 being released from an auto
A/C is to burn it with a propane torch. The R12 is gone and an
environmentally friend thick chlorine gas is emitted. It is suggested that
you don't try to breath there for awhile.

6) On the bureaucrats top ten list of 'environmentally safe' replacements
for R12 was (you gotta love'em) propane.

YMMV
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva, '97TR'bird
"Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better than we
deserve." -- George Bernard Shaw