RE: British Miles

To: "'RossOvercash'" <jroverca@tiac.net>
Subject: RE: British Miles
From: "Miller, John" <John_Miller@jdedwards.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:21:20 -0600
There was a lengthy thread on British Miles quite a while back.  I had just
joined the list at the time so I didn't give my 2 cents (tuppence) on the
subject, but I'll chime in this time.  When I was going to college in
Philadelphia, I would buy parts quite often from Tom, as his place was on
the way to my girlfriend's (now wife) house in New Jersey.  He had quite a
selection of parts, but what always irked me about him was that I would have
spent the time to actually drive to his shop to buy parts, and as he was
helping me if the phone would ring, he would drop everything and go get the
phone and proceed to talk on the phone for up to 20 minutes with someone who
may or may not actually be buying something, completely ignoring me the
whole time he was on the phone.  The first time it happened I figured it was
just a fluke, but then it was happening every time I went there.  The more
it happened, the more it irked me, as I was a pretty good customer at that
point, and it wasn't like I was stopping in to BS with him.  I just wanted
to buy parts and get on my way.  I didn't have a choice but to use him,
because if the car was out of commission (which it was quite often back
then), I knew that I could just drive 45 minutes up the road and have the
parts right away, rather than waiting the days it takes to get something
through mail order.  I'm surprised you didn't get the prompt and courteous
phone service he would always give to anyone who called while I was in his
place.  I live in Denver now and I'm glad to not have to use him anymore.

John Miller
76 MGB