Re: MGB engine dies, V6 seems likely.

To: tboicey@brit.ca, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB engine dies, V6 seems likely.
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:05:08 EDT
Trevor, poor lost wayward soul.  A nice two litre B-series engine is STILL
just the ticket to a rip snorting MGB.  Even a 1800 cc but very well built
engine can be wicked fast.
Converting to V6 or V8 is:
  #1 TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE!  any junkyard engine that cost less than a B engine
needs to be rebuilt.  MGB engines can be rebuilt rather inexpensively, 6 and 8
cylinder engines have more parts and cost more.  Don't let anyone charge you
Lotus prices for a B engine.
  #2 TOO DAMN HEAVY!  Unless you get  Rover V-8, realize that most engines out
there are cast iron.  Nasty stuff cast iron.  You'll soon be budgeting for
springs and a handling kit.  Add that to #1
  #3 NIGH ON IMPOSSIBLE TO SELL OR INSURE!  Most insurance companies won't
touch a car with a funny engine in it.  Alot of buyers aren't too keen on
home-job engine swaps.

  As nice as the factory V-8 was, if you don't have enough money to go full-
setup, realize that the next best option is a well built standard de-
emissioned B-engine.  I just got one that was built in Scotland for about
$1200, and it is a sweet running free reving engine that the original never
was.  A heavy V-6 out of some sedan is nearly immpossible to set up properly
in terms of carburation and ignition.  You will save no money going for a V-6,
and unless you spend a fortune on the engine, get little more usuable
horsepower.
   I like B engines if you get my drift...   Others apparently don't.