Re: MGB engine dies, V6 seems likely.

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB engine dies, V6 seems likely.
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 23:09:04 EDT
On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:05:08 EDT MGMagnette@aol.com writes:
>Trevor, poor lost wayward soul.  A nice two litre B-series engine is
>STILL
>just the ticket to a rip snorting MGB.  Even a 1800 cc but very well
>built
>engine can be wicked fast.
>Converting to V6 or V8 is:
>  #1 TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE!  any junkyard engine that cost less than a B
>engine
>needs to be rebuilt.  MGB engines can be rebuilt rather inexpensively,
>6 and 8
>cylinder engines have more parts and cost more.

That depends on which V-6/V-8 engine you choose.
 A complete engine rebuild "kit" for a Rover V8 (1980 SD1) set us back a
whopping $625. That included everything from pistons/rings, bearings,
gaskets, seals, new rockers, and down to new core plugs (freeze plugs).
 No way you can get out for that with a "B". Heck a new set of
pistons/rings will set you back $250 alone!
 When I built my son a 350 cid Chevy engine, he put a set of 9.5:1 cast
pistons in it, which he paid, across the counter at the local parts
store, the princly sum of 164 bucks.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

  Don't let anyone
>charge you
>Lotus prices for a B engine.
>  #2 TOO DAMN HEAVY!  Unless you get  Rover V-8, realize that most
>engines out
>there are cast iron.  Nasty stuff cast iron.  You'll soon be budgeting
>for
>springs and a handling kit.  Add that to #1
>  #3 NIGH ON IMPOSSIBLE TO SELL OR INSURE!  Most insurance companies
>won't
>touch a car with a funny engine in it.  Alot of buyers aren't too keen
>on
>home-job engine swaps.
>
>  As nice as the factory V-8 was, if you don't have enough money to go
>full-
>setup, realize that the next best option is a well built standard de-
>emissioned B-engine.  I just got one that was built in Scotland for
>about
>$1200, and it is a sweet running free reving engine that the original
>never
>was.  A heavy V-6 out of some sedan is nearly immpossible to set up
>properly
>in terms of carburation and ignition.  You will save no money going
>for a V-6,
>and unless you spend a fortune on the engine, get little more usuable
>horsepower.
>   I like B engines if you get my drift...   Others apparently don't.

Why pay more to use the Internet?
Get fast, reliable, affordable Web access
Download your free software <a href="http://www.juno.com/getit.a.html";>here</a>.