Re: MGB engine dies, V6 seems likely.

To: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: MGB engine dies, V6 seems likely.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 01:43:31 -0400
Mark Snowdon wrote:
> Being in the auto salvage industry, both in Canada and in the states,
> let me tell you that you are mistaken if you think low mileage 2.8L
> chevy motors are plentiful.

  Plentiful might not be the right word, but would I be off
base in saying they are a lot more common than 215ci Rover/Buick
engines?

  I suspect that rebuilding the V6 would be cheaper than the
Rover/Buick as well, both from lower parts count and good-old
availability.

> If you were going to go with a V6, the better choice would be the 3.8L
> Buick motor that the Rover V6 is based on.

  What's the physical size and weight like?

  I have no real preference for the 2.8L engine, but it is
the one that was used in any MGB->V6 conversion I have seen
so far, so I figured it would have at least enough merit to
investigate it.

  I'll consider anything, but I wasn't really aiming for
a full engineering and design project. I was considering
the engine that at least one local car is set up with,
so I could hopefully clone the install.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca