Re: MGB and Pinto?

To: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB and Pinto?
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:59:31 -0700 (PDT)
At 09:54 PM 10/22/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I was just watching a show about auto safety, and they were showing the
>deadly design of the Ford Pinto.  The gas tank/rear axle arrangement looks
>very similar to the MGB's.  Am I right in saying that an MGB might be
>somewhat unsafe if rear-ended at high speeds?  Or am I getting my undies in
>a bunch over nothing?

Michael,

Many , many moons ago, while stopped to make a left turn, my 3 month old `76
B was smooshed squarely in the rear by a `69 (I think) Chevelle driven at
high speed by a friend of mine.  The impact launched us through the
intersection and into a gas station parking lot : 360 degree instant ground
loop!.  Both my passenger and I got out under our own steam with nothing
more than strains and bruises.  The B was a mess but repairable.  The
Chevelle was dead at the scene (the driver was okay, despite my intentions).
No fire but LOTS of steam.  Some from the Chevelle, more from me.

I've had three (THREE!!!) B's shot out from under me with never anything
more serious than bumps, bruises and sore muscles. (Touch wood.)  IMHO the B
is at least as safe as most anything contemporary.

Before you all think I'm a madman behind the wheel I should point out that
of the 3 B's I've had destroyed while driving  once I was in a legally
stopped car and the other two times I was travelling through an intersection
with the right-of-way and was  pranged by a driver crossing my path who
failed to stop.  (I've also been rear ended and totaled a `69 Cortina, and
an `86 Ranger.  Anybody wanna go for a ride?)

Short answer: relax.
Ross   MacPherson
TC-3528 , `66 BGT
Surrey, BC, Canada