Re: MGB and Pinto?

To: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>, "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB and Pinto?
From: "Jim Carney" <carney_fam_ark@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 01:36:41 -0500
>The gas tank/rear axle arrangement looks
>very similar to the MGB's.  Am I right in saying that an MGB might be
>somewhat unsafe if rear-ended at high speeds?  Or am I getting my undies in
>a bunch over nothing?
>
>Michael S. Lishego
>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

The problem with the Pinto was a bolt that punctured the tank on rear impact
of sufficient force.
Many cars have the tank behind the rear axle, without having the fire
problem associated with Pintos.
I do not know if there is a similar problem with MGs.
The Pinto solution was to install a moulded piece of high impact plastic
(vinyl??) between the bolt & the tank.
It is food for thought.
Jim