Re: O.D. - to clutch or not to clutch...

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: O.D. - to clutch or not to clutch...
From: "Carl W. French" <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 12:28:48 -0500
> My advice to anyone with overdrive in their car is, therefore, if it shifts
> perfectly smoothly without the clutch, fine, save your leg effort. But if
> the shift in or out of overdrive is accompanied by any driveline clunk or
> thud, save the mechanical pieces by using your leg on the clutch. A shapely
> calf muscle is more acceptable than the major expense associated with
> overdrive repairs!

I am wise enough to not debate this with Lawrie, I have always let off
the gas when shifting up doing it around 3-3500 and it works pretty
well. But I have noticed that it is a little rough getting out of OD, so
I guess I should clutch it when shifting down. My driving season is over
other than driving the MG 12 miles to the body shop later today (any
York county Deputies on this list please ingore the the absolutely
stripped MG if you see it on the road).

Carl F
67B O/D