Re: O.D. - to clutch or not to clutch...

To: "ccrobins" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: O.D. - to clutch or not to clutch...
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 21:37:09 -0800
A flame? Man, you should see me when I really feel someone is talking
through the back of their neck!

I was trying, kindly and gently, to offer a sensible reason why what was
written many years ago might not be currently applicable.

I honestly don't believe my '68 overdrive "has problems" just because, in
that one respect, it differs from how a new one might have worked. And I say
"might have worked" advisedly. I was in the business in the early seventies
and I remember that very few Laycock overdrives shifted smoothly out of
overdrive even when they were still relatively new. For that reason, I
developed the habit of lightly dipping the clutch as I shifted out of
overdrive. In fact, if I'm shifting out of overdrive at speed, I'll even
blip the throttle to raise the revs as I do it. The results are smooth
shifts and, as I said before, if that removes a clunk from the driveline,
I'm a good enough mechanic to know that I'm saving something from being
damaged.

Lawrie