Re: Brake JOB Do's and Don'ts

To: Erik Brzoska <mowog77@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Brake JOB Do's and Don'ts
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:46:00 +0000
Erik Brzoska wrote:

> I have wire wheels and the brakes have been working great, but the
> travel of the pedal has gotten excessive and the driver's side pads are
> so low that I am beginning to grind the rotor.

Long pedal travel is usually caused by poor adjustment of the rear
shoes, so you will have to work here as well as changing the front discs
and pads.  Make sure the linkage that goes through the back-plate
swivels freely and work a little grease into its pivot.  Also put a thin
smear on all the metal-to-metal contacts inside the drum, and where the
handbrake joins the linkage.

Turn the brake adjuster (give the adjuster a wiggle to make sure it is
on a flat) until the brakes are audibly rubbing, but the retardation is
negligble.  Pump the foot brake and pull up and release the handbrake a
couple of times then check the wheel again.  If the brakes are binding
give the drum a tap with a mallet and see if that frees them off.  If it
doesn't, try backing of the adjuster one click.

PaulH.