Re: Brake JOB Do's and Don'ts

To: James@LWSD.com
Subject: Re: Brake JOB Do's and Don'ts
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:17:26 EST
On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:44:43 -0600 James <James@LWSD.com> writes:

>Ah, this is a question that occured to me as I disassembled the front
>suspension on my '74 the other day. Has anyone tried split washers in
>lieu
>of the bend-over tabs on these bolts, and if so, how did you fare?
Split washers (aka "lock washers), IMHO would be the last way to attempt
to lock the caliper bolts in. The ideal would be to safety wire them in
place. Along with Lok-Tite. And the locking tabs. (Can't be too safe)

>I'll be using the car for autocrossing, which means new brake pads every
>6 months, and the tabs are a pain to undo....

Uh, why are you undoing the tabs to replace the brake pads? The calipers
do not have to come off to replace the pads. In fact the only thing that
needs to come off to replace the pads is the wheel, and the two long
split pins on each caliper that lock the pads in place. With a bit of
practice, you can have the pads changed in about 5 minutes per wheel.
 I dare say that without straining yourself you could easily change the
pads between runs, and still have time to go watch most of the rest of
the field.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget