Re: stock racing

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: stock racing
From: James <James@LWSD.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:16:47 -0600
>I am trying to prepare my car for some stock class autocross next summer,
>but I need to know exactly what was non-competition factory installed options
>and what wasn't (ie, 72 spoke 5.5" wire wheels, roll bar sizes, uprated
>shock valves, etc).
>
>Which books contain the information?  Clausager isn't terribly specific
>about those things.

I'd argue with that statement - I think "Original MGB" covers just about
everything you need to argue for or against a particular option in
reference to the SCCA stock classes. The problem is that it takes hours of
careful reading to dig the info you need out of the "production changes"
section.

If 5.5" wheels were ever offered - in any style - as a factory-installed
option, wheels of that size would be legal, regardless of number of spokes,
etc., under SCCA stock rules. The rules also allow addition of any roll
bar, as long as it doesn't serve to improve the torsional stability of the
chassis (the extra weight's gonna hurt, though). Since rollbars aren't
required for autocross, it doesn't have to meet the requirements of the
GCR. Since the rules state that you can replace the shocks with anything
you want, as long as it fits the original mountings, uprated shock valves
should be no problem either.

Strict compliance with the rules isn't really a concern until you win, of
course, and with a 'B in H stock (which includes a number of much faster
cars) that may not be a problem ;-)

BTW - if you do the careful reading required to find out what Clausager has
to say about wheel sizes, steering wheel diameter and other stock class
questions, it would be great if you did a quick post stating what you found
and what pages the references are on in the book. Save the rest of us the
trouble :-)

- James Einolf
'74 MGB (which has yet to be within 10 seconds of fasted time of the day)