Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:57:36 -0800
Hi all, while driving down to school I noticed that the car developed a
clicking noise (as if from something hitting during rotation) from the
front of the car during medium acceleration below 2500 RPM.  Under
higher RPMs, no noise.  I stop and check the engine compartment and
notice nothing loose that would possibly make the noise.  I grab my fan
and turn it.  I notice there is about 1/4 to 3/8" free play where I can
turn the crank.  Before, this was not the case.

Before I begin diagnostics this weekend, does anyone have any idea why
this would be like this.  Could my crank pulley be loose?  Doubt it with
the crank pin.  And why this noise from the pulley or nearby?  Pulley
rubber shot???

Sorry I can't be more specific.  I'm really busy with classes and can't
get to a well lit area outside of the parking deck to check it more.

Something always seems to happen going to/from school (400 miles each
way), but nothing happens when I'm at school or home.  This is getting
frustrating.

Jay