Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)

To: "Jurgen Hartwig" <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:47:30 +1000
Jay,

>front of the car during medium acceleration below 2500 RPM.  Under
>higher RPMs, no noise.  I stop and check the engine compartment and

Couldn't see how it would be a spun bearing, I tell ya, the one I had last
month sounded so bad you would *know* there was some sort of catastrophic
failure like that! Bang, bang, bang, bang!! In time with the motor turning
over and it certainly wouldn't go away. I can't imagine a spun bearing would
remain intact for very long without it disintegrating, due to lack of oil,
and then you'd hear the big end smacking the crank like I did. A very
frightening sound to hear coming from your 'baby'. <G>

>notice nothing loose that would possibly make the noise.  I grab my fan
>and turn it.  I notice there is about 1/4 to 3/8" free play where I can
>turn the crank.  Before, this was not the case.

A) Maybe the rubber sandwich between the two parts of the harmonic balancer
(crank pulley) has disintegrated.

B) Your Water pump bearings are shot. Grab the fan, move it around, does it
move up and down, side to side? If so it's stuffed. Do you not drive the car
very much? I have to replace my water pump almost every two-three years due
to this (corrosion which I had finally fixed thanks to a proper inhibitant),
and yes it does develop a knocking, clicking sound at certain rpm. You
should also be noting, if it's bad enough, that you're going through a lot
of water. The B shouldn't lose any water. Mine doesn't. For some reason
these after market water pumps are junk. The orig one on my car lasted 20+
years!! I've had 3 in the last nine years I think.. Hmm!!

Good luck Jay, either way I wouldn't drive it until you've located the
source of the problem. If it is a more serious problem you don't want to be
further damaging your engine. If you are losing water you also don't want to
drive it because if it overheats anything can happen.. My MGA did that to me
a couple of months ago as well when it blew the welch plug out the back of
the block. :(

Cheers,
Neil.
--