Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)

To: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argohouston.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 07:50:58 -0800
Harlan.........

I'm not sure how missing thrust washers,  which limit the fore-and-aft
movement of the crankshaft, would enable the fan to move forward a
noticeable amount. This would happen an a Triumph TR3 or 4, where the fan
fits to the nose of the crankshaft, but on all the MG engines I've worked on
the fan is attached to the water pump (exc. '77 and later 18Vs, for those of
you who share my need to pick nits). There's no way missing crank thrust
washers will allow the water pump to move. And, just for the record, I've
overhauled hundreds of MG engines and have never once seen a case where the
thrust washers had fallen out.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center