Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)

To: s4usea@fanniemae.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)
From: EricSsmc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:18:38 EST
Crank end free play usually results from the engine dropping the thrust
washers out.  The thrust washers control the end float of the crank shaft.
The washers on your car are on the #3 main bearing (middle one).   The washers
get worn, the clearance between crank and block opens up, and the washers fall
out.  It's time for a major rebuild, the engine is worn out.  This is not
something you would want to attempt to "fix" in the parking lot.  In a worse
case scenario, the crank has probably already damaged the face of the block by
rubbing up against it.  To repair properly, the crank has to be turned and the
block must be machined if it is repairable.  This is common in TR6's but you
don't hear it happening too often with MGB's.  I hate to be a doomsdayer, but
this is your worst case scenario.  Sorry.  Check to see if the crank pulley is
loose, etc.  Maybe things aren't as bad as I have pictured.  It's hard to
diagnose engine problems over the phone lines.

  You're right, this is very frustrating, but remember, how old is your car
exactly?  What kind of condition was it in when you first started driving it?

Eric