Re: MGB prices

To: JustBrits@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB prices
From: Obadiah Fayth <fayth@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:15:16 -0800
At 8:02 PM -0500 2/21/99, JustBrits@aol.com wrote (trimmed slightly):

>   You would be better off buying Lawrie's car, pull the motor and rebuild
>to *FLAT OUT RACE CONDITION* than wasting your time looking for a
>suitable donor for a V-8 transplant sitution at anything NEAR a reasonable
>price.

I didn't mean to step on any toes by wanting to convert to a v8 engine. But
there is no way that the stock 4-cyl, modified to "*FLAT OUT RACE
CONDITION*" is a substitute for the alloy rover v8 (for a street vehicle at
least). Easier, yes. Cheaper, maybe. But if I wanted a dedicated race car I
would be building a race car. What I do want is great handling, a wide
powerband, low end torque and a car that is a sleeper for what will
primarily be street driving. Perhaps I should have said that before. I
spend maybe 5% of my driving time on the track either autocrossing or time
trialing, what I want is a car that is well suited 100% of the time, is
that too much to ask ;)

Yes, I know that in terms of time and money it is usually better to buy a
car that is already in nice shape, but I happen to LIKE fixing cars. It is
enjoyable to know that I have done something, or to be able to say "I fixed
that". I would rather put someone's basket case back together and get it
back on the road than to just buy a car that has already had everything
done to it.

>   Of course, you can spend the next mellina looking for a car that will
>accept the new torque and horsepower 'cause it has nothing rusted in it.

FWIW, Lawrie also told me that from time to time they do run into the kind
of car that I am looking for. They may be few and far between, I don't
know, but the price is right and they are rust free. And that is what I
want.

>   Tell me (and list) when you win your SCCA class at the Natiionals in
>Salinas, KS in a Stock or Street Prepared 'B' and EVERY one will back
>your idea!!!!   ----Just MHO, of course!?!?!?-----

>           Ed

What about when I put the on super deep dish negative offset wheels and
take it to the drag strip??? Sorry, just kiding ;)

-Obie