RE: MGB prices

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB prices
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:28:41 -0800
Ed <JustBrits@aol.com> wrote:
>Obie:
>
>   You would be better off buying Lawrie's car, pull the motor and rebuild
>to *FLAT OUT RACE CONDITION* than wasting your time looking for a
>suitable donor for a V-8 transplant sitution at anything NEAR a reasonable
>price.
>
>   Of course, you can spend the next mellina looking for a car that will
>accept the new torque and horsepower 'cause it has nothing rusted in it.

Umm, there are *lots* of roadster V-8s out there, and I've never
heard of a single one folding in half due to the V-8.  Also, considering
the cost of building a B series racing engine (and the cost of replacing
the head once it cracks) it's cheaper to do a V-8 conversion.

Admittedly if you want to use one of those FIA GT 5.0 fuel injected
Rover monsters, yes, you better find a _solid_ 'B and do some structural
strengthening.  But, for a 3.5?  Geeze, there are lots of rubber bumpered
'Bs to found out there in more than suitable condition.  I find 'em
in junkyards down here--the emissions bits go, too expensive to repair,
the car gets tossed, nice RBB with no major rust sitting in a SoCal
boneyard.

The MGB is a well designed monocoque, and can easily handle the output
of a 3.5 Rover V-8.  You don't want a car with damaged sills (unless you
are in to cutting and welding) but the typical MGB floor rot does
not turn the monocoque into cardboard.

>   My suggestion - learn to drive a 'B' in either 'stock' or 'uprated' >motor
>condition BEFORE you even think of the Rover/Buick swap.

This I absolutely agree with.  A 'B V-8 can be a lot of car to handle,
learn how to drive a 1.8 'B first.  And while you're at it, learn
to *drive* first.  There's more to driving than pointing the car
down the road.

>   Tell me (and list) when you win your SCCA class at the Natiionals in
>Salinas, KS in a Stock or Street Prepared 'B' and EVERY one will back
>your idea!!!!   ----Just MHO, of course!?!?!?-----

Well, with a full race engine, he won't be able to compete in S or SP.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/