Re: craftsman vs. metrinch

To: vscjohn@huntnet.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: craftsman vs. metrinch
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 01:46:53 EST
Let me toss in my $.02 here.
Having worked as a pro mechanic for many years, and being the proud owner of
approx. $1 Jillion dollars in tools (You laugh, I once asked my accountant if
I could claim Snap On as a dependent on my taxes) There is a difference. Pro
tools have closer tolerences and use higher quaility base material (less
likely to break).  Also a greater varitey of tools are offered. (different
lengths, offsets, head designs etc)
Let me give you one example.  On old Volvo's the clutch fan is bolted on with
4 6mm studs and 10mm nuts.  Over time these nuts get real tight.  Because of
the extreme torque required to remove them, these nuts would round off and
require a chisel. (not fun).  A few years ago Snap On came out with a new type
of open end wrench that they claimed did not put stress on the corners of the
nuts but rather on it's flank. (they call this Flank Drive I wonder why?) so I
bought one to try.  Since that time I have not rounded one single fan nut, not
one.  That 10mm wrench cost about $20 and has saved me at least $500 in saved
productivity (it takes time to chisel off a nut).
For weekend use Craftsman is probably fine, but for pro work, I'll take a pass
and spend the extra $
Rick Ewald
67 MGB