Re: craftsman vs. metrinch

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: craftsman vs. metrinch
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:06:49 -0500
Excellent point, Rick. Clearly, Snap-On brand and MAC brand offer a much
broader product line than consumer outlets. I can look at my MAC product
listing here on my desk and compare it side by side with Blackhawk, Husky,
etc, and MAC (just like Snap-On) offers many more specialized tools
(wrenches angled at varrying degrees, different lengths, finer degreed
ratchets, etc). There are some specialized tools that can only be had
through a Snap-On or MAC distributer. Someone mistook one of my earlier
posts about shared plants and forgings to assume that ALL MAC forgings were
shared with ALL Husky, etc. Not true. Simply put, where there is the ability
to share common forgings (ie, wrenches with the same shape and specs),
forgings are shared (just like car manufacturers have done for decades). In
those cases, the only difference is the finishing process and the brand
that's stamped on it. However, for tools that are unique to, say, MAC for
example, because they are very specialized for a specific MAC application,
those forgings are unique only to MAC. Snap-On operates the same way (I know
because one of our product managers recently came from Snap-On and he gave
us the low down). In fact, my brother-in-law, who has owned an automotive
shop for some years told me that his general practice after years of trial
and error is to buy Craftsman, etc for common type wrenches/sockets and buy
Snap-on or MAC for specialized tools where there clearly is a specific need.
He said he looses a lot of tools as mechanics come and go from his
employment, so its much more cost effective that way. Bottom line, there are
some highly specialized tools that are available through the Snap-on's and
MAC's of the world that you cannot get at Sears or Home Depot.
Regards, Greg Hutmacher

=====