Re: Vapour lock problem. Was won't start

To: bugide@tfs.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vapour lock problem. Was won't start
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 11:07:02 EDT
In a message dated 5/17/99 10:22:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bugide@tfs.net
writes:

<< An easy test for vapor lock is a simple wooden
 clothes pin.  Clamp it on the visible part of the line (before the carbs) and
 off you go.  Yes, it is odd but it works.  >>

I am always trying to learn from these lists, but you got me on this one.
You clamp a clothes pin on the gas line and what happens?  "...off you go"?
Does that mean that the engine runs with the clothes pin clamping off the gas?

I remember vapor lock problems with my friend's '56 Corvette
(327c.i./350h.p., but with the radiator from the stock 265c.i. engine).  We
just let the car cool down...open the hood, remove air cleaner, open the gas
cap...and the problem soon went away.

Maybe you could explain, in better detail, the physics of the clothes pin
theory.

TIA,

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget