Re: My Early BGT

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My Early BGT
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:56:10 -0700
Hmm, interesting. Clausager states that serial #77774 was the first GT
built in January 1966. This seems to indicate that 84510 would have come
off the line around March 66. By the time it shipped to the states, it's
hard to see how it got registered as a '65, except as some kind of tax
dodge (?). GT body numbers began with 101 in 1965, with 524 produced in
the calendar year (bringing it up to 625, presumably). 10,241 were
produced in 1966, so number 2450 would be an early 1966 car, which
corresponds to the serial number calculation above. So it seems definite
your car was built in early calendar year 1966. Anyway, since GT
production didn't begin until September 1965, which was the beginning of
the 1966 *model* year, I don't see how any GTs could be termed 1965
models.

About the production and assembly history you mention, Clausager does
describe a change in the body assembly & trim location, but seems to
imply that all final assembly was at Abingdon. But there is room for some
interpretation there.

RL Chrysler had this to say:

--

Max Heim