RE: Steering Wheel Question

To: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>
Subject: RE: Steering Wheel Question
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:13:12 -0700
Thomas:

        The steering hub on most Bs is aluminium.  Very soft.  Any play at
all and the splines will be toast.  The wheel is located by clamping onto a
tapered surface.  The nut has to be tight to give adequate clamping force.
The splines just prevent the wheel from turning.  They do not actually have
any tightening action.  This is the same technique as used on the Late car
rear axle, and also spline drive wheels.  The nut tightens the taper
surfaces together.  The splines prevent rotation.

hope this makes sense.

Kelvin