Re: MGA Twinkie question

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Twinkie question
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 11:20:06 -0500
> Dear List:
>
> What is the advantage of the MGA Twin Cam model over any other sort of
> engineering that BMC ever developed?  How does it work?  How does it
affect
> regular maintenance and tune-up issues?  What is the impact on
performance?

Well for starters it allowed the MGA to put out a good bit more power!
There were some detonation problems in the beginning, and the compression
was then lowered.  You will typically read that the Twin Cams were extremely
high maintance, yet with proper (read: routine!) maintenance they seem to be
fine.

> I saw one for sale this weekend in Connecticut.  The owner said that the
> engine had been replaced with a later model MGB block, which toned down my
> interest, but it sure looked nice.  With a rust-free body and a 90%-good
> paint job, the owner was asking $8500.

Is that the one Former Glory has forsale?  I thought it was dismantled?
Anyhow, you could always source an MGA 1600 block and fit that.

There was also one forsale some where in New England not so long ago for
$8000.  It was a complete rust bucket but had some interesting factory
options; a competition windscreen, competition seats, close ratio gearbox
and a non-standard differential ratio.

> I use the term "Twinkie" in hopes of eliciting a more exuberant response.

IMHFO, the MGA Twin Cam is perhaps the finest automobile ever produced.  It
is the car I long to own, in numbers... or a bunch of Austin Healey 100-4s.

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu
'74 Triumph TR6 -- '66 MGB, both @home