Re: MGA Twinkie question

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: MGA Twinkie question
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 12:44:49 -0600
Charles D. Sorkin wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> What is the advantage of the MGA Twin Cam model over any other sort of
> engineering that BMC ever developed?  How does it work?  How does it affect
> regular maintenance and tune-up issues?  What is the impact on performance?
>
> I saw one for sale this weekend in Connecticut.  The owner said that the
> engine had been replaced with a later model MGB block, which toned down my
> interest, but it sure looked nice.  With a rust-free body and a 90%-good
> paint job, the owner was asking $8500.

My only experience with them was when I blew the engine in my MGA,
racing at Harewood Acres in Ontario, Canada, in the 60's. I went to the
Austin/Morris dealer in Cooksville and asked if I could buy the Twin-cam
engine they had in the back shed. I was told, "No way; first of all,
they are crap and it will blow up on you; second, it's worth a fortune
as a collector's item, since they all blow up eventually."

He offered me a nice slick 1959 Morris Mini-Minor for $25 if I would
promise to race it. I sold the MGA and prepared the Mini for racing
(including rebuilding the engine, which had a bad big-end on number
four) for under $250.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com