Re: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow

To: "Matt Pringle" <pringlmm@mcmaster.ca>, <Ajhsys@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:40:56 -0800
Again, Matt has the basic idea correctly. The contact patch area is
determined by the weight of the car and the tire pressure. Period. A
wider tire does not equal a larger contact area in and of itself. But as
Allen pointed out, we also have to consider different tire pressures
(possibly), sidewall construction, rubber (sticky vs. hard, hydrophilic
vs. hydrophobic), and tread pattern (ratio of tread blocks to open areas
-- compare a snow tire to a street performance tire). And, as everyone
has observed, good snow tires seem to have a narrower tread than
performance tires.

Matt Pringle had this to say:

--

Max Heim