Re: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>,
Subject: Re: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:15:17 -0000
What do you say happens to the patch then?  Take two tyres, identical except
that one is twice the width of the other.  Forget different pressures,
different sidewall construction etc that's just chaff.  For the patch to
stay the same size the wider tyre would have a patch that was half the
length of the narrower tyre.  Are you saying that this is accounted for by
the different squish of each tyre?  No way.  Why else do high-performance
cars have wider tyres?  You could say it is just for show, but single-seat
competition cars like Grand Prix cars don't do anything for show and they
have massively wide rear tyres - wider tyre = more grip because it has a
wider patch.  In fact recent Grand Prix rule changes have reduced the
maximum allowable tyre width in an attempt to reduce cornering speeds -
narrower tyre = less grip.

For further confirmation of 'narrower tyre gives more grip in snow' (if any
were needed) see also film of World Rally cars on dry tarmac and snow - dry
tarmac = wide tyres, snow = narrow tyres.

PaulH.