Re: Miscellaneous Failings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous Failings
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:19:24 EST
In a message dated 12/28/99 9:11:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
neilc@apphosting.com writes:

<< Way smoother with the Roller
 Rockers and lightweight lifters. She'll now rev to over 6000rpm without a
 complaint. More torque everywhere, but noticeably more power up high where
 she really takes off, probably thanks to the larger MGB valves and the
 porting >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good job, Neil.  I can't help with your questions, but your comment about
more torque brought something to mind.

I am amazed at how much torque my 1500 Midget has.  I had the pleasure to
drive in an SCCA Divisional rally earlier this year.  My navigator for that
event is a national champion (I'm not! :-( ), so I drove his car while he
took the right seat.  He has a VW Golf with a 5-speed.  I was surprised at
how little GO it has at low RPM.  I had to constantly downshift.  And the
gearing is pretty lousy, too.  There was little difference between 2nd and
3rd, so I skipped 3rd most of the time.

I understand that the new Japanese V-Tech engines are like this.  Nothing off
the line until you get up to 6000 RPM or better.  We have a lot more fun in
our British Iron.  Remember, HP sells cars, torque wins races!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport