Re: Miscellaneous Failings

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous Failings
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:41:14 -0800
Neil Cotty had this to say:

>The MGA lives! :)

Yay!

>Here's the questions. I got that UJ back together in record time, but at the
>same time I also replaced the felt pieces in the steering column. The
>originals were really thin, and the column moved around alot before. Well
>now the column hardly moves. In fact, now it doesn't self centre and is very
>stiff to move intially which makes driving a not so fun experience. Is there
>something I'm supposed to do to these felt pieces before refitting? Soak in
>oil or something?? I fitted them dry. If dry is ok, do these take time to
>wear in? I notice period testers complained a lot about stiff steering in
>MGB's but this is ridiculous. <G>

Ummm, I think early Bs used a similar felt packing, but the later ones
used a nylon bush which can be substituted in the earlier cars. That's
what I did, and it reduced the column shimmy, but didn't cause any
noticeable stiffness. I wonder if this nylon bush can be substituted in
the MGA column?

Barney?

--

Max Heim