Re: Miscellaneous Failings

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous Failings
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:59:57 +1100
Charley,

The coolant bubbling from the two cyl. head nuts stopped after the 3rd drive
around the block, and no more seepage from near 2&3 either. Weird. No sign
of probs in the chambers, plugs are nice and brown not all clean. The amount
of coolant I'm talking about is tiny, like there would be room leftover in a
teaspoon!

>   Did you: Check the top of the block for warpage & high spots?  Chamfer
> the head stud holes?

Now this is where there is a possible problem - the block. The head was
crack tested, vacumn tested, new studs, gasket aligned & sat fine but
nothing was done to the block - except for me cleaning it up so I could eat
off it. ;) It could very well be out of true. However, there doesn't appear
to be any problems so far so I think I'll run her a while longer and push my
luck to see if anything pops up. I monitor everything like an eagle these
days so if anything seems out of the ordinary I'm on it quick smart. I got
quite a few Emails off list from people saying they've seen the coolant
bubbling and it went away quickly so I guess this must be a reasonably
common problem. Actually, I think it's related to the type of gasket. I
didn't have this problem last time I did the head and I used an all fibre
gasket, this time I used a copper sandwich gasket. The same type my friend
with the B used on his with the same coolant problem. Hmm..

I fixed my steering column problem the lazy way, a few drops of oil down the
shaft, and that was enough to free up the wheel. Great. :) It was only the
top bush causing the problem.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Cheers,
Neil.