Re: Miscellaneous Failings

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@apphosting.com>
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous Failings
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 06:24:09 -0500
Neil,

Not supposed to be fitted dry.  Quoting from the MGA workshop manual,
"These (the felt bushes) are impregnated with oil and graphite, and no
lubriction should be necessary, but if, after long periods, a dry squeak
develops, this may be cured by a small application of oil."

One could surmise from this description that replacement felt bushes
were already "impregnated"...but the ones I got from Moss sure weren't!
Soaked them in a mixture of oil and graphite overnite and that seemed to
do the trick.

Bill

Neil Cotty wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The MGA lives! :)

(snip)

> Here's the questions. I got that UJ back together in record time, but at the
> same time I also replaced the felt pieces in the steering column. The
> originals were really thin, and the column moved around alot before. Well
> now the column hardly moves. In fact, now it doesn't self centre and is very
> stiff to move intially which makes driving a not so fun experience. Is there
> something I'm supposed to do to these felt pieces before refitting? Soak in
> oil or something?? I fitted them dry.

(snip)