Oil Pump

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Subject: Oil Pump
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 07:01:28 -0500
<<<<<Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:59:32 -0600
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>

I recently tried to start my newly built-again MGB
engine (built on a new block this time).  However,
after a lot of starting, I could not get any oil
flow or pressure.

I don't think that I used the wrong gasket from
the gasket set; I took a picture of the one I did
NOT use; it's at
http://www2.msstate.edu/~mts3/gasket.jpg.  I was
turning the engine over with no spark plugs in and
throttle open, so it was spinning fast for a long
time.  No oil flow at the pressure relief valve
and at the filter.

Any ideas before I pull the pan (engine in the
car)?>>>>

You have to prime the oil pump before it will build pressure.  I made this
mistake on my Marina 1.8  I pulled the pan and filled the pump to correct
the problem.  In hindsight I think I would pull the oil pressure switch and
try priming it with an oil gun to save the additional time and trouble.

Good luck.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
fpixley@kingston.net