Re: Oil Pump

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:58:44 -0600
  Vaseline?  That's a new one on me.

  When I rebuild an engine, it goes together with assembly lube of one
kind or another in the right spots.  I don't bother to prime the pump;
chances are the prime will run out the pickup tube if the engine sits
around for a long period of time before it's installed and started, what
with empty oil galleries and sump.  I spin the engine on the starter
until the oil pressure comes up and then fire it.  On some engines you
can spin the pump with an electric drill until the pump primes and the
oil galleries are filled.  This seems like a very good idea when trying
to resurrect an engine that's sat around a long time.

 In 40 + years of mechaniching (is that a word?), I've never encountered
an oil pump, in good condition, that wouldn't self-prime.  Of course, my
practice is to replace the pump as a matter of course on a high-time
engine rebuild....

  End of ramble, ;^)

  CR