Re: Oil Pump

To: mts3@ra.msstate.edu, MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:31:17 -0500
I had a similar problem with a VW engine I rebuilt.  I had reassembled
the oil pump "dry" rather than filled with oil.  My dad patiently
explained that oil pumps are not necessarily self-priming.  Here's what
I did:

Remove oil pressure sender fitting
hook up a tube and a squeeze bottle of engine oil
squirt the oil in, and let it sit for about 15 minutes

The oil runs backwards down the feed line into the oil pump, filling it
partially.  Next time you spin the engine over, the pump will be primed,
and should start producing pressure.

Hope this trick helps.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net