Re: Brake light switches AND fluid problems

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake light switches AND fluid problems
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:18:52 -0500
Gents,

> The three problems with silicone are that,
> 1. it does not absorb water.  This allows water to pool in the lines unless
> you bleed it out every year.

Hydrophobia is not a detraction of DOT 5, but a benefit. Can someone site an
example of definitive research showing that water will pool in silicone? I don't
think so! Try leaving some in an open graduated cylinder for a year or two and
see if the volume changes, or any pools of water show up.

> 2. it is (or was in original formulation) just a bit more compressible than
> DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.  This may only be in early silicone fluids and could
> be much better now.  Barney, you use that A for some serious autocrossing. Did
> you notice any difference in pedal feel between DOT 5 and DOT 4?

Compressibility? Of a liquid? If such a thing could occur, I seriously doubt one
could detect it with a foot.

> And 3. the above seal swelling problem.

I respectfully suggest this is a myth. If the stuff is no good I'd appreciate
some proof before I remove what appears to be perfectly performing, 10 year old,
anhydrous brake/clutch fluid, and replace it with rust-worm food.

Jim