Re: Separating tie rod from steering rod

To: wizardz@toad.net, "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>, "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Separating tie rod from steering rod
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 18:26:07 -0600
I'll have to agree with Paul on this. I've replaced the boots on three
different MGs. And each time, the tie rods would not come out at all, using
tricks like beating on them or putting a jack underneath them. I finally
bought a pickle fork (as it is called) that easily forces them out.
However, doing that, it is best to replace the tie rod ends since the
rubber might be damaged in the removal. At $15/pair, I figured it was no
big deal. The pickle fork was another $10 at NAPA.

But if you use Paul's suggestion, you just unscrew the tie rod ends after
marking the position they are at. You would have to this anyway if you
removed the tie rods ends so you can keep your front end alignment intact.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT