Re: Separating tie rod from steering rod

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Separating tie rod from steering rod
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 07:23:55 -0700
Rob,

The Moss catalog suggests unscrewing the nut holding the steering are to the
tie rod end a couple of turns, put a jack under the nut and lift a half inch
or so and then use a brass drift punch and a big hammer to pound on the
steering arm to separate the tie rod end from the steering arm.  That's what
I was trying to do.  It appeared to me that it was having no effect at all
and I did manage to get a rather large blood blister out of the attempt and
some rather odd looks from my neighbors.  Must of been something I said?

Since my tie rod ends seem to be in good shape, I didn't want to use a
pickle fork and risk ripping the rubber boot on the tie rod end.  It was
suggested that I leave the tie rod end in place and unscrew the tie rod,
marking where the threads go into the tie rod end so that I can reset my toe
in to the same place.  Since this will accomplish the same thing as removing
the tie rod ends, I will try that today, weather and time permitting.

Thanks for your time and advise.  I'm a real novice at suspension and
steering, but have a feeling that I'll be a little more knowledgeable pretty
soon.  The rubber bushings look like they're in need of replacement also.

Dave 72B