Re: Garage tools

To: barneymg@ntsource.com
Subject: Re: Garage tools
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 20:13:21 -0500

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000 19:21:11 -0500 Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
writes:
> At 12:30 PM 6/2/2000 -0500, David Littlefield wrote:
> >I bought a set of those Metrinch tools .... They have their
> drawbacks, but
> they will fit SAE, Metric (some on the Jag) and Whitworth in a
> pinch.
>
> Gotta make just one comment here.  The above statement is correct
> (sort of)
> that they will fit various sizes of fasteners, so they can work "in
> pinch".  They accomplish this seemingly impossible feat by being
> generally
> a very loose fit on the fastener, so that the wrench has a goodly
> amouny of
> backlash on a nut or bolt head.

Yes, I find that to be the major drawback.  If you have a nut in a tight
spot it is hard to move it a flat at a time with the wrench "sloppy."
Still, it beats carrying three sets of tools, particularly since I own
cars that have all three standards.

(So
> now you
> get into the game of trying to identify all of the Whitworth
> fasteners on
> the MGA.)

Well, I won't attempt to list them all, but I think they are largely in
the fuel system  and brake system, yes?

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII