Re: Garage tools

To: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garage tools
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 19:21:11 -0500
At 12:30 PM 6/2/2000 -0500, David Littlefield wrote:
>I bought a set of those Metrinch tools .... They have their drawbacks, but
they will fit SAE, Metric (some on the Jag) and Whitworth in a pinch.

Gotta make just one comment here.  The above statement is correct (sort of)
that they will fit various sizes of fasteners, so they can work "in a
pinch".  They accomplish this seemingly impossible feat by being generally
a very loose fit on the fastener, so that the wrench has a goodly amouny of
backlash on a nut or bolt head.  I find this makes using the "Metrinch"
wrenches a rather awkward act of masochism.  When working on someone else's
car, and such person has a set of these wrenches, I usually end up going to
get my own standard wrenches instead.  As a matter of qualification, I do
have inch and metric wrenches, I do not have Whitworth wrenches, but I
almost never work on those cars that have Whitworth fasteners.  (So now you
get into the game of trying to identify all of the Whitworth fasteners on
the MGA.)

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg